Wednesday 20 July 2016

THE WAY OF THE WARRIOR


Taekwondo is my sport, Martial arts is my way of life. After 6 years of starting taekwondo, it so happens that I can't go a month without training, without working on my body, without sharpening my mind and reflexes; it is what keeps me going.

You know what happens when I stop for three weeks? My body goes into shut down as if to say "hey Mr man, better get off that chair and go train or else I'm going to give you an ass whooping", body aches will start, mind slows down, and it feels like something big is missing; only a dedicated martial artist or athlete will understand the withdrawals one goes through for stopping training for some days.
Obviously, Oliver Wendell Jones has been right to say "A MIND that is stretched by a new experience can never
go back to its old dimensions", and in this case I'll say" A BODY that is stretched by a new experience can never with ease go back to its old dimensions"

Martial arts have saved my life when it really mattered; I really can't tell you enough how many times I've found myself in life threatening situations, and have gotten to confirm the saying that "it is not about body size but about skill"; having to defend myself against muscled bigger guys and pulling out of it with either no scratch or just a broken lip; at such moments, it reminds you why you push yourself to train so hard.

So I recently started training in Brazilian Jujitsu and I have to admit, damn! It is a beautiful art form of fighting; the body play, the fluidity in the seemingly clumsy chaotic movements, it's really beautiful.
I just thought I should add Brazilian Jujitsu to my list of martial art systems I learn from(Taekwondo, Boxing, Kung fu Wing Chun, Aikido, Karate, Kick boxing, Krav Maga, Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Ninjitsu). it's actually a long list now that I'm looking at it, but yeah, I learn from wherever I can and whoever I can learn from, knowledge is diverse, and only a diverse mind can embrace the entirety of life.

Learn and grow, Train and be better. You are a writer? Read and write and change and morph till you hit that writing style you want of yourself, you're a fighter? keep learning what works for you, learn new skills, new moves and let go of what doesn't work for you until you can walk those streets at night with the confidence of a black panther; don't stop because of the pains or blood that you have to give. Don't live a life where in old age, in that old chair looking at the setting sun, you'll tell yourself "I wish I had hiked that mountain, I wish I had sailed that ocean, I wish I had written more, I wish I had traveled more", in those years to come, you may finally learn that regrets and dreams not accomplished are more painful than the pains of giving it your all, and the peace of knowing you gave life your all. Love and be hurt, and keep loving without bitterness.
...... And so has the universe been; give life your all, and it will reward you; all that exists and all that will exist rewards the courageous and the fierce at heart.
#IAmAMartialArtist #IAmAWarrior #IAmAnAthlete

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?. Please leave a comment, I'd love to know what you think. You can also share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+ by clicking on the SHARE icons.